Emergency Preparedness for YOU and your FAMILY -- How To Survive A Disaster!
Photo by Mitchell County
Emergency preparedness doesn't require unlimited funds or a PhD in Emergency Management. A little creativity and the right knowledge can help you prepare for a disaster!
It's 10 PM. The kids are asleep upstairs. The wind picks up and it starts pouring. The power flickers and then goes out. Then you hear tornado sirens.
What do you do?
If you are not sure, then this site might save your life (and your kid's lives)!
It's critical that you understand the different disasters you face. I will guide you through how to create an emergency preparedness plan. And we'll look at what you need to put in your disaster kits – without breaking the bank.
So explore this site with me and find the knowledge you need to survive a disaster.
Table of Contents
- Disaster Emergency Kits
- Emergency kits are an essential part of your disaster survival plan. With the right equipment in your kits, many disasters simply become routine instead of life threatening.
- Everyday Carry Emergency Kit
- The everyday carry (EDC) emergency kit is what I carry in my pockets. This emergency kit would be on your person at all times when you are out of the house.
- Personal Emergency Kit
- The personal emergency kit is small enough and light enough so that you always have it with you when disaster strikes.
- Disaster Scenario Days
- Disaster scenario days are practice session where you can safely try out your emergency kits and disaster survival skills.
- Why Disaster Preparedness?
- Why is disaster preparedness important? Do your friends think you are crazy for having an emergency kit stashed in the basement? Or maybe you are not sure you really need an emergency kit...
- Natural Disasters
- What natural disasters do you face and how do you survive them?
- The Best Survival Books
- There are a lot of survival books on the market today. The question is, which books are worth reading?
- Emergency Utilities Shutoff
- One of the first things you will want to do if you house has sustained major damage during a disaster is an emergency utilities shutoff.
- Computer Backups
- Part of being prepared for emergencies is having good computer backups this making sure your data is safe through a disaster. Loosing irreplaceable financial records, important documents, and even digital pictures can be devastating.
- NOAA Weather Radio
- The NOAA All Hazards Weather Radio is a key piece of gear in your emergency kit. The NOAA weather broadcasts provide alerts for more than just severe weather.
- Disaster Survival Guide Updates
- Keep updated on the latest emergency preparedness strategies, plans, kits, and disaster information that I have added to my site.
- Contact Disaster Survival Guide
- Use this page to contact me with questions or comments about the Disaster Survival Guide.
- About the Author
- My passion for emergency preparedness grew out of my interest in backpacking.
- Food Storage Basics
- Food Storage Basics: I recommended that you keep at least one month of food on hand for emergencies.